Competition Bureau Threatens to Dismantle Privacy Safeguards of Home Sales: 75% of Ontarians Opposed
March 14, 2012 - Today, the Toronto Real Estate Board (TREB) released the results of an Angus Reid Vision Critical poll. The vast majority of Ontarians clearly expressed their opposition to abandoning the privacy safeguards of the current MLS® System.
When asked about the consequences of the Competition Bureau's actions, Ontarians expressed concern:
- 75% of Ontarians believe that personal information such as name and final sale price should be kept confidential by REALTOR® professionals. Commissioner Aitken wants to release this information.
- 70% of homeowners do not want their personal contact information released to the public. Commissioner Aitken wants to release this information.
- 67% of Ontarians oppose any measure to make personal contact information such as name and address available to others who are not subject to a professional code of conduct. Commissioner Aitken wants to release this information.
"The results of this poll are overwhelming," said TREB President Richard Silver." TREB strongly believes that REALTORS® have an obligation to protect consumers' personal information. That's why TREB and REALTOR® Members are fighting for the privacy rights of consumers."
The Competition Bureau is taking action that would force TREB to abandon the safeguards in the MLS® System and make personal information publicly available on the Internet, threatening the privacy and safety of GTA consumers.
If the Competition Commissioner gets her way, consumers' private information, which is currently protected on our secure MLS® System, would become freely available on the Internet, including:
- Seller's name and address
- Property floor plans
- Sensitive Property access information
- Negotiated sale price
- Mortgage details
"Ontarians clearly oppose what Commissioner Aitken is trying to do. They've said they want their personal and private information kept confidential," said Von Palmer, Chief Government and Public Affairs Officer and Chief Privacy Officer for TREB.
If Commissioner Aitken gets her way, Ontarians won't. Privacy matters. TREB is standing up for GTA consumers. Visit www.ProtectYourPrivacy.ca for more information.
Greater Toronto REALTORS® are passionate about their work. They are governed by a strict Code of Ethics and share a state-of-the-art Multiple Listing Service.